Senior Intellectual Property Specialist
The position is responsible for cultivating and maintaining the global intellectual property portfolio for an ophthalmic medical device company.
- Work with engineers in multiple global sites to identify patentable inventions, submit invention disclosures, and perform patentability searches on potential inventions
- Work with external counsel to prosecute and maintain the division’s global patent and trademark portfolio. Conduct patent validity searches as well as freedom-to-operate and infringement analyses for new projects/designs
- Monitor competitor patents and provide recommendations and actions to mitigate potential IP risks. Assist engineers to test and analyze competitor products for possible infringement
- Create global IP training program and provide relevant training and advice to all scientific staff
- 3+ years of managing intellectual property portfolios in the medical device or life science field
- Bachelor degree in Optical, Material, or Mechanical Engineering (or a related engineering field). Master Degree preferred
- Knowledge of the patent prosecution process in Japan and preferably the US
- Experience in conducting patent and prior art searches in patent databases and systems
- Experience in transactional IP including contracts, licenses, and agreements is a plus
- Proactive and able to work independently. Must be able to work cross-functionally and across multiple time zones
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills in both Japanese and English
We regret to inform you that only shortlisted applicants will be notified. Thank you for your kind understanding.